Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What a weekend

July 4th weekend is supposed to be fun and relaxing, right? Well, on the one hand it was fun & relaxing, and on the other it was a pain....
  1. Pain- I get home around 3:30 on Thursday (thanks for letting us go early, Dr. Frost!) to find Bailey getting around quite well on three legs. He's holding his back right foot up and I immediately think "Great. He's torn the ligament in that knee now, and we're going to have to pay for another dog knee surgery." I of course want to immediately take him to the vet even though it's probably nothing serious, and Jerry thinks I'm looney tunes, but agrees to go with me to the vet anyways (basically because he knows I won't calm down till I know for a fact that Bailey's knee isn't hanging by a ligament). Well, turns out it's a good thing we did go because he had been bitten by a snake! We think it was a copperhead, although obviously can't be sure. His foot ultimately swelled up to about the size of my fist. He was miserable, understandably, but made a quick recovery. Chances are he'll now go seek out snakes to bite him due to the amount of dog biscuits he's received since Thursday.
  2. Fun/relaxing - We got to have dinner with our friends Jen & Chuck and their son Drake on Thursday evening! They were down in Hilton Head for a quick vacation, so we got together to have dinner and catch up. I really miss them and wish we lived closer. We all get along so well, so it's a shame that we can't see each other more often.
  3. Pain - The three of us were going to go to the July 4th parade at Oldfield, which the monthly bulletin said was at 11:30. We cruise up at 11:20, only to find out that the bulletin was wrong and the parade was actually at 10:30. As my mother said, thank goodness Carrie's not at an age that she can realize what she missed. I was bummed, though.
  4. Pain - We go back to the house after the missed parade and decide to go down on the dock for some R&R. We've got our giant LL Bean bag that you can lose stuff in; I start unpacking Carrie's stuff and find there's a sippy cup in there that's emptied out in the bag. I take everything out of the bag and go to dump out the water....splash....something hits the water and I obviously missed something that was still in the bag. It took me a few minutes to realize what it was. I sent Jerry up to the house just to check to make sure, and sure enough....I managed to dump our cool digital camera straight into the river. At this point I decided that it probably would have been better for me to just go to work that day.
  5. Fun/relaxing - Carrie loved the fireworks! We could see several shows from the dock, so we didn't have to go anywhere and get in huge crowds to see the fireworks. Double bonus was that the shows were past her bedtime, so while we were sitting on the dock in the sun chairs she would, every now and then, lay her head down on my chest and suck her thumb and just be still for a few seconds. I love those times :) Oh yeah, and hot dogs were a bit hit that night as well (there are very few foods that aren't a big hit with her, though).
  6. Fun/relaxing - We were invited by some friends I'd met through the Junior League of Savannah here to go on the Pau Hana Catamaran, which was super fun. We were able to go on a date night, cruise around on a cool boat, and have some wine (I was a bit overserved, but it was all good!)
  7. Fun/relaxing - The Ann Taylor outlet store opened last week and had a huge grand opening sale. I'm not sure this was so much fun for Carrie/Jerry, but it was great fun for me!!

So I guess that's it for now. I think that's enough, don't you?

1 comment:

Jen Dalton said...

Hi friend!! We had such a blast at dinner with you guys. We also talked several times that we would love to live close so we could hang out more often!! I can't explain how heartwarming it was that Carrie came to me and loved on me so willingly. Aunt Jen needs to come around more often!! Love ya, girl!!