Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I guess I'm "that" mom

But at least I know there's one other mom out there just like me in this case....

Carrie got a permission slip sent home with her a few weeks ago to go on a field trip to a pumpkin patch.  It sounded like lots of fun and I was ready to sign her up, until I read how they were going to be traveling to the pumpkin patch.  It was by the little school bus they have for their school....which meant only lap belts and not car seats.  This immediately made my mommy radar go up and I was like "do they really think I'm going to let my tiny little kid, who at her rate of growth will probably still be in a car seat at 16, get on a school bus with nothing but lap belts?"  I hemmed and hawed about this for a few days, and then was talking with one of my friends, Kathy, who's daughter is also in Carrie's class and is Carrie's current BFF.  Before I even said anything she echoed my sentiments and felt the same way I did about letting the girls ride in a school bus with only lap belts.  Thankfully she has a work schedule that's much more flexible than mine and was able to volunteer to drive two children (mine and hers!) to the field trip.  Crisis averted - Carrie got to go on the field trip and I didn't have to be the mean mommy and not let her go because I didn't feel comfortable letting her ride in the bus. 

I know thousands of kids do the school bus thing every single day going to and from school, including kids not much bigger than mine.  Maybe I'm just a giant worry wart, but I'm okay with that :)  I only have one Carrie!!  I guess that's another bonus to having her and Anna (and eventually baby boy) going to the school that they do - no school bus service since it's private, so her only option is to ride in a car seat in our car :) 

No comments: