Friday, December 11, 2009

In Love...

I think I am in love with our new nanny. She is A-MAZ-ING. Literally. We were a little wary of trying to get another nanny because we had such a great experience in FL with Hayley for Carrie that we weren't sure that could be topped. Not to mention the pool of nanny possibilities here is considerably less than it was in a college town of over 40k students (mostly women from the looks of it). But Kayla has met and exceeded each and every expectation. It's only been two weeks, but what a great two weeks.

She takes excellent care of Anna. I have yet to come home to a crying baby, and that is saying something because usually by 4:30 she's on the verge of what my mother in law appropriately calls "hurricane hour" for kids, meaning that they've just had enough of the day, thank you very much, and are gonna be cranky! When Anna sees her she just lights up and smiles and giggles, and that does my heart good.

Carrie loves her too. I've always considered Carrie a pretty good judge of character, as are most little kids. She's very social and will say hi and smile to just about anyone, but she won't immediately jump into someone's arms unless she's sure about them. When we interviewed Kayla we could hardly get a word in edgewise because Little Miss Bossy wanted to play Ring Around the Rosie the entire time. Kayla took it in stride, answering questions while twirling Carrie and taking care to make sure she didn't slam her head into the corner of the table.

She gets Carrie ready for school in the morning so we don't have to wake her up at an ungodly hour to get her out the door (this may of course change once we move!). She asks me if there's anything I need/want her to do around the house while Anna naps. She volunteered to help pack up the cottage in anticipation of the move. She does the girls' laundry. Yesterday she put some semblance of order into our pantry which, if you had seen it, was quite the job. Did I mention that these are all things she's just seen that need to be done and she does them without me giving her any sort of task list? The only things I've explicitly asked for are items related to child care....the other stuff is just a bonus.

It's hard being a working mom of two - every day when I walk out the door I have this little twinge of mommy guilt which, as any mother knows, is the most powerful stuff in the world. But I know Carrie loves her school (and yes, it really is more of a school than a daycare....the kid is writing her ABCs already people!) and the people there love her and take care of her as I would, so that makes a huge difference. And now I know that Anna is well taken care of and loved while I'm not there as well. Not only does it put my mind at ease, but it feels like a physical weight has been lifted. Whew.

3 comments:

Carolyn, aka Lady said...

I can't wait to meet Kayla!!

a said...

That is AWESOME! Whew! What a RELIEF! Glad you found someone you can trust and rely on.... can't wait to see you, Jerry, & the girls soon! 1 week and counting!
A

ps. love, love, loved the christmas card this year!

Jen Dalton said...

I know exactly the "peace" you are talking about...so glad you have her! You guys coming this way for the holidays?? Would love to see you!