Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Truly ridiculous...

I don't usually write about non-family stuff on here that often, but here goes....

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person.  Hell, Georgia Tech let me earn two degrees from there so I can't be half bad, can I?  I am also not a true tree hugger in every sense of the phrase. I do my part by recycling, being cognizant of electricity/water use, etc.....but I'm also the first to admit I refuse to switch to cloth diapers or the more environmentally friendly disposable ones because let's be honest here - my time can currently be better spent in ways other than washing out and sanitizing cloth diapers or cleaning up the messes that the environmentally friendly diapers can't contain.

So what is it about the oil spill and BP not being able to get it under control that I don't understand?  

I don't even live there and this is just pissing me off more and more every day.  I mean, it seems to me that prior to drilling for oil a mile below the ocean surface that they should have had a plan in place in case something like this happened.  And from my limited knowledge of the situation I understand that there was a part that was supposed to kick in and turn it off - but that malfunctioned?!  Where's the redundancy?  Then I got even more mad when I saw a link yesterday and one Jerry forwarded to me today that shows freaking video feed of the oil just gushing right out into the ocean.  If they can get live video feed why can't the fix the stupid leak? 

I am sure there's a reason that it's taking this long.  Probably not a good reason, but a reason nonetheless.  And I'm also sure there's tons of science to be considered when attempting to fix this without causing even more damage to the environment.  BUT COME ON PEOPLE. 

Of course, Jerry's using this as the perfect excuse to lobby for a Tesla...

No comments: