Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The $21 Experiment

Pretty much everyone who has spent any time around me knows about me and my infamous allergies.  I swear I am allergic to myself sometimes just because I sneeze for no apparent reason.  My sinuses are, as a general rule, congested and miserable.  I've had surgery to help this little problem out, which actually reduced my problem somewhat, but it's definitely still around.

Enter the real Christmas tree.

This has always been a bone of contention in the Reeves V house.  As I've mentioned before I am freakishly allergic to the things.  If I get around them I start sniffling, then sneezing, then the eyes get swollen, you get the picture.  It's not fun to be around for anyone.  Because of this my family always had a fake Christmas tree.  I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with this.  Actually, I think it's way easier than the real version - you can get the damn thing pre-lit for crying out loud.  You pop that sucker out of the box, set it up, plug it in and WHAM - you have a beautiful 9 foot tree with gorgeous white lights all aglow.  A real tree means unraveling a thousand feet of lights, seeing which ones need to be replaced, then stringing the suckers on the tree.  And then you have to reverse the whole process once Christmas is over.  Yes I sound like Scrooge but for someone who's allergic to these things, none of that process is fun.  Jerry's family has always had a real Christmas tree.  And don't get me wrong - I love the tradition they have of taking the whole family to pick out the tree and cut it down at the tree farm, etc.  They have some wonderful family memories and pictures from those experiences - just ask Rhett ;)  It was a lot of fun this past Sunday to take the girls there for them to run through the tree farm and look at all the trees, but literally within about 5 minutes of riding home with the real tree I told Jerry I could already feel the tickle in my nose. 

So Jerry's been doing some research and apparently Leyland Cypress trees are hypoallergenic.  While we were at said tree farm on Sunday I said "Fine.  Let's do a little experiment and get a small one and see what happens.  Worst thing that can happen is we put the thing on the back porch because I can't be within 20 feet of it.  Needless to say we now have our very pretty fake tree in the living room and our "kid" tree in the den.  It went up last night and I have to say that I didn't sneeze once while we were in there watching TV. 

Perhaps we'll be able to have a live tree next year after all.....I'm just not sure I'm ready to give up my pre-lit tree though :)

No comments: